For many people acne scars are a source of personal anxiety and a daily assault on their self esteem. For years it was believed nothing could be done to help return the face of the acne sufferer to its original, pre-acne condition. Today, thankfully, those afflicted with acne scars can take advantage of leading-edge laser treatments like our laser acne scar removal to reduce and even remove unwanted acne scarring. It’s an effective therapy that has become increasing in popular in Toronto, though many people still have understandable concerns about possible side effects.
Facts About Laser Acne Scar Removal
Laser acne scar removal has a remarkable track record of success but, as with any medical procedure, there is the possibility of side effects. Fortunately most of these are temporary and usually very mild in nature. Here are some of the most common:
- Redness and Minor Swelling – The treated area is fairly likely to exhibit minor redness and/or swelling in the aftermath of treatment. This is your body’s normal defensive reaction and should subside completely within a few days. If you find the swelling a bit uncomfortable try applying cold packs to the affected area.
- Solar Sensitivity – You may find the treated area is sensitive to sunlight for a period of time after treatment. We recommend you apply sunscreen with at least a 30 SPF if you plan to spend time outdoors until the sensitivity diminishes (and it will).
- Discoloration – It may take some time for the skin in the treated area to return to its natural colour after you have completed your treatments. Give it time. As your skin adjusts to the new reality it will gradually heal and the natural pigment should return.
Perhaps the best way to avoid complications is to make sure you are a good candidate for the procedure before starting treatment. You may want to delay or forego this type of treatment if you:
- Suffer from an immune system disorder,
- Suffer from a connective tissue disorder,
- Suffer from cold sores or herpes,
- Are currently suffering from an acne outbreak.
The fact is, side effects from laser acne scar removal are almost always mild and short lived. Nonetheless it’s important to remember that this is a delicate procedure and should only be undertaken by qualified, reputable staff using top-of-the-line equipment that is professionally maintained. Safety and sanitation should also be top concerns.
Almost invariably when people have reported more serious side effects like infections it is the result of being treated by unqualified practitioners whose techniques are sloppy and whose equipment and clinical environment is not subjected to proper sanitation protocols. Don’t ever trust your face to an amateur. It’s just not worth the risk. At Leeza’s all of our technicians are experienced and fully certified, meaning that whether you seek removal of acne scars, skin rejuvenation or wrinkle reduction, you’ll never have to worry about the quality of the work they do or your own health and safety.